- Schedule of Classes - March 24, 2015 6:16PM EDT
- Course Catalog - March 24, 2015 6:20PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2014-2015.
This seminar will prepare students for Global Service Learning Summer Programs in diverse locales. Students will hear from Cornell faculty and staff on relevant global health and development issues. Course sessions will cover important country and regional-specific factors relating to geography, culture, history, politics, and health systems. Students will be actively engaged in reading, discussing and presenting on key seminar topics.
When Offered Spring.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Students must have been accepted into a Cornell Global Service Learning Program or the student must be planning to travel abroad during the summer for their global health field experience requirement.
- Describe important country and regional-specific factors relating to geography, culture, history, politics, and health systems of the country to which they will travel.
- Identify the major locale‐specific health and safety risks that they might encounter living abroad.
- Explain what reflection is and why reflection is important in learning.
- Apply methods of reflection (oral and written), especially related to cultural diversity, personal goal‐setting, and team work.
- Identify several service project possibilities and assess their suitability for those placements based on personal goals and attributes.
- Demonstrate behavior in class that is culturally appropriate in the country to which they will travel.
- Interact with and build rapport with students from their respective country groups.
- Express simple greetings and phrases in country‐specific language.
Class Number & Section Details
13912NS 4620 SEM 101 Add this class to your Favorites
- WSavage Hall 200
Credits and Grading Basis
1 Credit Graded(Graded)
Enrollment limited to students accepted into a Cornell Global Service Learning Program during the Summer that follows the Spring semester in which this course is being offered. Please contact Terry Mingle (tpm2) for a PIN number/placement on the wait list.
Department Consent Required (Add)
Or send this URL: