- Schedule of Classes - March 24, 2015 6:16PM EDT
- Course Catalog - March 24, 2015 6:20PM EDT
Course information provided by the Courses of Study 2014-2015.
Covers basics of establishing a greenhouse operation, growing crops in optimized environments, and serving niche or mass market. Discusses technology basics including structures and equipment, systems for heating and cooling, lighting, irrigating and fertilizing, material handling, environmental stewardship, integrated pest management, and production management. Also covers world centers of greenhouse crop production; culture of cut, pot, bedding, vegetable, and fruit crops in greenhouses, emphasizing predictive harvesting through environmental, physical, and chemical management of growth and development. Each student grows one or more crops.
When Offered Spring.
Fees Course fee: Required three-day field trip approx. $100.
Permission Note Enrollment preference given to: juniors.
Prerequisites/Corequisites Prerequisite: HORT 1101 and any other horticulture course.
- Understand the importance of the major environmental factors that affect plant growth.
- Be able to describe how and why a protected cultivation structure can influence the plant-growing environment.
- Describe environmental manipulations needed to control floral induction, initiation, and development in a variety of plants, and how to apply them to produce commercially acceptable crops.
- Successfully produce a variety of flowering crops within a commercially acceptable time period.
- Develop production costs for a crop or crop sequence.
- Utilize outside resources to develop and evaluate methods of growing an unknown crop.
- Be conversant in the major greenhouse production and management systems and how they interact to profitably and responsibly produce floral crops.
Choose one lecture and one laboratory.
Class Number & Section Details
16474HORT 3100 LEC 001 Add this class to your Favorites
- TRGreen Grnhouse Bldg G 170-KPL
Credits and Grading Basis
4 Credits Graded(Graded)
Prerequisite: HORT 1101 and any other horticulture course. Junior standing is preferred. Cost of required three-day field trip: approx. $90.
Or send this URL: