Summary Advice: The Transatlantic Trends 2012 is a comprehensive annual survey of American and European public opinion.
Main Points: Polling was conducted by TNS Opinion between June 2 and June 27, 2012, in the United States, Turkey, Russia, and 12 European Union member states: Bulgaria, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. The survey is a project of the German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF) and the Compagnia di San Paolo, with additional support from the Fundação Luso-Americana, the BBVA Foundation, the Communitas Foundation, the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs, and the Open Society Foundations.
Transatlantic Trends is mainly based on the Computer Assisted Telephone Interviews (except in Poland, Slovakia, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania and Russia where face-to-face interviews were conducted due to the low telephone penetration rate in these six countries). Both landline and mobile phone numbers were included in countries with a high concentration of exclusively mobile phone users: Italy, Spain, Portugal, and the United States.
The basic sample design applied in all states is multi-stage random (probability). In each household, the respondent was drawn at random (following the “closest birthday rule”). Up to 5 call-backs for telephone interviews and 4 visits in total for face-to-face interviews were attempted before dropping a potential respondent.
Results for Europe as a whole are also indicated. In order to compare with the previous results, 4 separate totals for the results of Europe were processed:
· EU 7: Results for EU7 based on seven European Union member states: United Kingdom, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy, Poland and Portugal.
· EU 9: Results for EU9 based on nine European Union member states: France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain and United Kingdom.
· EU 11: Results for EU11 based on eleven European Union member states: Europe 9 plus Bulgaria, Romania.
· EU 12: Results for EU12 based on twelve European Union member states: Europe 11 plus Sweden.
The figures given for Europe are weighted on the basis of the adult population in each of the European countries. In addition, for all countries, all new questions since 2010 are weighted using specified country demographic weights.
· w1: Stage 1 – selection probability weight applied to all countries
· w2: Stage 2 – Correction for dual frame countries Spain, Italy, Portugal and US
· w3: Stage 3 – Socio-demographic weights for all countries (gender/age, education, region)
· w3 capped: Based on weight w3 but capped to 0.3 and 3.5
Access to database: http://trends.gmfus.org/transatlantic-trends/
Source: Transatlantic Trends 2012, Methodology, 2013
Page Created By: Madina Junussova. The content presented on this page is drawn directly from the source(s) cited above, and consists of direct quotations or close paraphrases. This material does not necessarily reflect the official view of the publishing organization.