Business Environment and Enterprise Performance Survey
Summary: The Business Environment and Enterprise Performance Survey (BEEPS) is a joint initiative of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the World Bank. The BEEPS covers a broad range of issues about the business environment in Central and Eastern Europe, the countries of the former Soviet Union and Turkey.
Main Points: The BEEPS at-a-Glance Country Profiles provide a graphical representation of values of selected indicators focusing on problems doing business, corruption, customs and trade, taxation, finance, labor and workforce development, infrastructure and innovation among others. BEEPS at-a-Glance Country Profiles are available for each of the countries participating in BEEPS.
The survey answers can be aggregated into the several main categories (example of 2005 BEEPS survey):
· Regulation: weighted average of title and leasing of land, customs and trade regulations, business licensing and permits, and uncertainty about regulatory policies
· Labour: weighted average of labour regulations, and skills and education of available workers
· Taxation: weighted average of tax rates and tax administration
· Institutions and property rights: weighted average of functioning of the judiciary, corruption, street crime, theft and disorder, and organised crime
· Infrastructure: weighted average of telecommunications, electricity, transportation,
and access to land
· Finance: weighted average of access to financing (for example, collateral
requirements or unavailability of bank finance) and cost of financing (interest rates
· Macroeconomic environment: a separate component covering inflation and exchange rates.
BEEPS at-a-Glance Country Profiles focus primarily on changes over time and provide values for both 2005 and 2008 rounds. Although in some cases the values are not directly comparable, these charts offer descriptive comparisons. The Country Profiles show results for the country, sub-region, and region, and also offer response summaries for all the Problems Doing Business indicators for 2005 and 2008.
The BEEPS has been carried out in four rounds: in 1999, 2002, 2005, and 2008 and covers virtually all of the countries of Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, as well as Turkey.
Access to database:
EBRD (2005), Transition Report 2005. Business in transition, London.
Page Created By: Madina Junussova. The content presented on this page is drawn directly from the source(s) cited above, and consists of direct quotations or close paraphrases. This material does not necessarily reflect the official view of the publishing organization.